Thursday, July 12, 2012

Taiwan Places: Taipei 101

So this last week, me and my family went to Taiwan. My dad was on a business trip so we didn't get to sight see with him a lot, so me my mom and my brother went to many places on our own. One of the first places we went was Taipei 101. In 2004 this building was the largest building in the world, but now it is only the second or third largest. I'm not sure. So that day we ate breakfast, my dad went to work, and we took a taxi there. There was a sign on there that said "101" in blue and green font.
Me in front of the strange 101 sign
When we went inside, we walked up to a person and asked him where we could get our tickets to get near the top. He said to go to the 5th floor. There we bought our tickets and waited in line to go in a really fast elevator. In the elevator, the ceiling lit up and strange music played. I bet that it's impossible to go up or down that elevator without having your ears get plugged. We were even instructed to swallow to stop the plugging. After a not so long elevator ride, we were on the 88th floor. Taipei 101 has 101 floors, but the highest we got was the 99th floor. But that's ok on the 88th floor, we saw all around Taipei. The audio tour talked about all sorts of things like the zoo, different bridges, and famous buildings. We also learned about the damper. The damper is a large ball that is suspended in the building to help it not be knocked over during an earthquake. I think it is the only damper shown to the public in a building.
The Damper
We also saw another exhibit that told us that the elevator we just took was the fastest in the world! It rushes up the building at a speed of 1010 meters per minute. Wow! No wonder our ears got plugged. After that we went up 3 flights of stairs to the 99th floor. It was really hard to breathe for me. It didn't have too great of a view, but it was cool. After all this fun we went to the basement and ate lunch. I didn't have a ton to eat, but I had tea with a type of tapioca called that our family calls boba. The first time I had boba was near my sister's school. My conclusion is that if you ever get the chance go to Taipei 101
Taipei 101
T-T-F-N



No comments:

Post a Comment